As for me, the motto of this year could be: part
ying with illusions.
Crucial points of 2014 in my opinion (in a somewhat chronological order):
- The year started with Sochi Olympic Games (see: #SochiProblems);
- then the Ukraine crisis turned into a full-scale civil war in Donbass;
- Crimea‘s reunion with Russia (btw it was supported by Mikhail Gorbachev) positioned in the West as ‘annexation‘;
- Odessa massacre;
- MH17 tragedy;
- Russia’s Eastern/BRICS policy (deals with China, India, Turkey, Iran, South Africa, etc.);
- unprecedented anti-Russian rhetoric/propaganda in Western media,
- and Western sanctions against Russia as well as Russian counter-sanctions as symptoms of the second Cold War;
- Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL aka ISIS aka IS);
- oil price decline and rouble’s drop.
Tune of the year 2014: